Punarnava Powder i.e. Boerhavia diffusa is a species of flowering plant in the four o’clock family which is commonly known as punarnava (meaning that which rejuvenates or renews the body in Ayurveda)
- Reducing swelling
- Anti inflammatory
- Anemia, early stage of liver disorders
- Cardiac disorders.
- Punarnava is an excellent diuretic. In cases of high blood pressure requiring diuretic action, punarnava is used.
- Cough and cold
- Relieves sputum
- Chest injury
- Relieving pain, abdominal colic.
- Heavy periods, menorrhagia
- Improves digestion strength
- Improves taste, useful in anorexia
- Useful in Hemorrhoids
- Speeds up wound healing
- Chronic toxic conditions
- Because of its diuretic action, it can be used in relieving urinary retention, where structural anomaly is not the cause for the retention.
- Punarnava Powder is also quite useful in relieving water retention as in case of adverse effects of long term use of steroids.
Dosage- Powder 1-3 g. Decoction (Kashaya) – 50 – 100ml in divided dose, per day.